Sakura Fluff Cake

So the sakura are in full bloom in Tokyo!!! And although we don't have sakura trees here, or at least blossoms because we're in a tropical region, even Singaporean stores welcome the season in small ways. Possibly because there is a large community of Japanese diaspora here, so the Japanese departmental stores like Isetan and Takashimaya have spring food fairs, which may feature sakura items. 

Anyway, this sakura steamed cake was from Four Leaves, which I think is a local bakery. At least, based on the feel and standards, it doesn't seem very Japanese.
Peach-coloured sakura steamed cakes.The buns came in a packet of two.
These were petit-sized, so maybe about 3-4 inches in length each. 

And although you probably can't see it clearly in the picture, those tiny dark spots on the cake are actually a part of the flower, which I presume to be sakura. They might have been the sepals or something, because they are yellowish green in colour. They were just for visual appeal and authenticity though, because I really didn't taste them, nor did they contribute to any chewing experience.

The cake basically tasted like a mildly cherry flavoured savoury bun. The savoury part is accurate, because the sakura items I'd tried in Japan (mochi and soft serve ice cream) were savoury. But I really don't think sakura flowers taste like cherry. At least, I don't remember that.

I know in English, the word "cherry" is in the name "cherry blossom", but I think that describes the general family of trees. It's related to the actual cherry tree, but I don't think the sakura trees bear fruit that we eat. And even if it did bear a kind of cherry fruit, I'm quite sure the fruit and the flower taste different. 

So maybe it's a diluted Singaporean product after all. -_-;; Hence sakura "fluff" ahahaha. Although I did mean to refer to the fluffiness of the steamed cake too. ^_~

Still, it was an interesting local product to try. Basically, a savoury cherry-flavoured fluffy bun. Which was tasty. ^_^      

Found this cake interesting? Check out more unusual cakes here!

Comments