Ruskology 203 - Malt Chocolate Coating

Gateau Festa Harada had this other "blond" chocolate variety of their rusk, and for a while I hadn't been interested in it as I thought it was just a mix of milk and white chocolate. But well, someone bought it back for me anyway, and to my sheer delight, the ingredients list seems to indicate that the "blond" colour is actually due to malt! This one's also fancy because they specially printed the sun motif (which is what "soleil" means), and sprinkled some gold leaf dust on it.
Gateau Rusk - Gouter de Roi SoleilA pleasant royal blue and golden sun for the packaging.
It had the usual Gateau Festa Harada high standards of pastry excellence, so I won't elaborate further on stuff like texture, buttery flavour and so on.
It upkeeps GFH's high rusk standards but packs in a slight savoury and grainy hint.
As for the chocolate, it was mostly like white chocolate with a more salty and slightly grainy taste, although I wouldn't say the malt taste was as strong as, say, in malted drinks like Horlicks or Ovaltine. Still, it was interesting as this was the first time that I had tried malt chocolate without the cocoa mass in any form.

I also thought the savoury aspect of this malt chocolate coating went very well with the butter and salt of the piece of rusk. I probably prefer it over the white chocolate version, which felt like just pure sweetness and creaminess to me. But it probably ties with the milk chocolate version.

Still, definitely worth a try!

Comments