A Feast of Flowers... "Classic Rose Pastry"

And now for something that I would say, with the right setup, approaches the realm of soul food... Rose pastry! (Or Chinese rose petal cakes.)

Each bag came with six individually-wrapped pieces. A friend bought this back from China.
A bag of six pieces.Each pastry was individually-wrapped.
When I first saw this, I was really excited about its uniqueness. But to be honest, when I first tried it, I had a bit of trouble getting used to the rosy fragrance, which I had normally associated with body care products, filling my palate.

But by the second time, I had decided that it really was a treat - the rose petals were SO fragrant! They had this delicate crunch, kinda like boiled vegetables like cabbage, only it wasn't savoury but sweet. And the pastry was smooth in texture, with a very mild flavour that did not get in the way of the rosy taste. A simply delightful treat!

The ingredients were pretty good too, in my opinion. The filling was pretty much pure rose petals, with some honey added in. They also didn't used margarine, although they did use pork lard, which is natural and hence fine in my opinion.
The flat circular pastry had a good amount of rose petal filling.
The best way to enjoy this would be on a cool day, maybe in the spring for temperate countries, or during a rainy season in tropical Singapore now, when it's cool. Preferably with flowers blooming.

Pour yourself some cool Eastern tea, like matcha, green tea, or oolong tea as I did. 

Lay everything out in nice flowery crockery.
Bring it to a verandah, preferably one facing a garden, to literally fulfill the classy notion of enjoying "pastries on the verandah".

Then relax as you listen to the wind, and maybe rain...

... with this beautifully zen song playing in the background...

Found this puff interesting? Check out more unusual pastries here!

Comments