Have a bake, have a Kitkat! Chocolate for toasting!

When I was at Westgate's Isetan (Singapore) recently, I thought I found an interesting flavour of Kitkat - baked pudding, or creme brulee.
A mound of Kitkat packs of an interesting flavour.
But nooo... it wasn't that the Kitkat had a "baked" flavour... When I read the English sign that either Kitkat or the Isetan staff had kindly prepared, it turns out that you're supposed to bake it! O_o
The write-up tells you to *bake* the Kitkat!
So I just had to buy it.

The packaging is full of instructions on how to bake it too... a tip on baking fills the individual wrapper's design. It recommends you use a tray when baking. (Well what else am I supposed to use? -_-;;)
Even the individual wrapper has baking tips.
So I laid out the pieces of Kitkat, but was worried because they were beginning to melt already...
The chocolate started to melt even before I put it in the oven.
And even as I watched them in the oven, I began to wonder if it will just turn out to be a wafer in a huge puddle of melted white chocolate.
The chocolate first formed a little puddle.
But after it melted initially, it began to brown and solidify beautifully...

It happened really quickly, so I had to really pay attention and remove it just before it got too black. The instructions also mention this.
Then it browned and crisped nicely.
It didn't even stick to the foil by the time it was done!
It left almost nothing on the foil when it was done!
So how was it? Awesome. Texture-wise, all the sugar in the chocolate had turned it crispy, so there was a crunch right through. It was almost like a slightly creamy biscuit! Its flavour was a rich vanilla with a nice burnt caramelised taste, a little like creme brulee, although I would still say it is a totally different experience.

Verdict: must try. It was great fun baking it and watching it solidify indeed.

Another takeaway from this discovery... oh the Japanese really think of everything and anything don't they? One of the reasons I'm so drawn to their food and culture!!

Found this chocolate interesting? Check out other unusual chocolates here. Also, if you don't live in Japan, consumer chocolate for baking might be highly unusual. If you found this interesting, you can explore more exceptionally unusual food and drinks here!

Comments