New Chang Kee! Salted Egg Prawn Puff

I managed to try Old Chang Kee's latest puff variant this weekend! It's their salted egg yolk prawn puff, adapted from the stir fry dish, which is salted egg liquefied into a sauce and stir fried with prawns.

Here's the relevant portion of their promo image.
Old Chang Kee's promo image for their Salted Egg Prawn and Chilli Crab puffs.
Source: http://www.oldchangkee.com/images/OCK_IB.jpg

Their Chilli Crab variant is also delicious! That one was launched some time ago though.

Anyway, here're the pics of the real thing for the salted egg prawn puff.
The salted egg prawn puff is labelled with a dot of red dye.You can see a whole succulent prawn inside the salted egg puff.
Overall, I thought the filling was decent. The salted egg flavour wasn't brought out strongly enough though... maybe they should have put more of that herbal-tasting leaf that they normally use for the stir fry dish... I think it's curry leaves?

Still, it was decent. They did use a lot of salted egg yolk, or so it seemed to me. Plus, as you can see from the pic on the right, there's one whole piece of prawn inside! It was nicely seasoned. A tad salty, but that made up for the slightly bland salted egg paste. And I thought it was relatively fresh.

The pastry was standard and good, as Old Chang Kee has pretty much mastered quality control in producing it. It had a nice wheaty flavour and was soft, yet maintained a faint crisp on its edges.

Because of the ingredients, I thought it was good value! Prawns and salted eggs are a bit costlier than say, chicken or normal eggs, from what I know. The puff was just $1.60... for a small eater like me, it's a cheap half-meal. ^_^

I hope Old Chang Kee comes up with more of these puffs based off Singapore's unique and delicious stir fry dishes! I love their ingenuity in packaging these up in yummy puff pastry.

Digression on cost-effective seafood shopping: I was wondering how they got whole prawns that are relatively fresh for such value... maybe they use the deep frozen variety. I've noticed them in the supermarket... they're really fresh... probably often fresher than the "fresh" ones you buy from the wet market, because they deep freeze them really quickly rather than letting them sit at room temperature as they wait to be sold. They're also relatively cheap compared to the fresh prawns I think.

Found this puff interesting? Check out more unusual pastries here!

Comments