The Other New Chang Kee: Chilli Crab Puff

Earlier, I featured Old Chang Kee's new salted egg prawn puff. Now, I'll talk about the less-recently introduced chilli crab puff. This one was labelled with a blue-green spot of food dye.
Chilli crab puff, labelled with a blue spot.There's a whole crab stick inside, although it's probably the imitation variety.
This chilli crab puff was much nicer than the salted egg prawn one, and I would recommend it without hesitation.

I think the ingredients were good. Although the crab stick was probably the imitation crab stick variety, there was a strong crab taste in the chilli crab sauce, so they probably used some kind of real crab meat for the sauce, even if it's just a bit for the flavour. There was also a lot of egg in the sauce... possibly even crab roe, although I'm not sure if the cost would justify such an ingredient.

The filling was also very flavourful otherwise. There was a strong herb-leaf taste... I thought it was kaffir lime leaves, although a number of recipes I googled seemed to say that curry leaves are normally used. And Old Chang Kee's promotional image (shown in this post) showed a curry leaf, I believe... so I've no idea.

It was also good value - just $1.60, or $1.50 if you take advantage of the current promotion with the salted egg prawn puff.

Found this puff interesting? Check out more unusual pastries here!

Comments